Monday 22 October 2012

DRAGON Naturally Speaking 12 review

Now I have to freely admit that I never learnt to be a touch typist or to do dictation but when I first became aware of Nuance's speech recognition software several years ago, I thought this had to be a useful tool for any hard-pressed secretary.

So with the latest - 12th - incarnation of DRAGON Naturally Speaking I felt it was time to see if a complete dufus like me could suss it out in a couple of hours and see if it could be of help to me as a journalist.

Once the basic software is installed, you're immediately encouraged into setting up your audio source - which for me meant headset first, then audio voice recorder. I took a few goes at getting the computer and software to recognise my new Tritton headset and arranging the voice levels so they were comfortable for me and loud enough for Nuance and then I was ready for action.

No-one can fault Nuance for not providing enough assistance - a sidebar drops down on your right which provides you with stacks of voice commands for handling text, navigating the Web and even sending e-mails. There's plenty of scope to create your own commands and build up your vocabulary and there's an additional Accuracy Center that will constantly improve the finished document.

The real eye-opener came when I started dictating this review, as the sheer speed at which the words appeared on the page was astonishing. Of course, you have to get used to adding your punctuation and paragraphs, etc., verbally as well but I was impressed by how quickly you fall into the habit. Once it was all down on the page, I then used the text-to-voice command to get the whole piece spoken back to me by a warm and friendly female voice that managed to get around 97% accuracy while still keeping plenty of believeable inflexion.

Navigating the Web took a little longer to master and creating and sending e-mails I'll admit is still a work in progress. However, it's easy to see how this software will be an invaluable tool for business in general and secretaries and journalists in particular.

For those already familiar with DRAGON Naturally Speaking, you'll be happy to know that scores of new, helpful features have been added including customisable Click commands, a Dictation Box for preparing material to insert in programmes like PowerPoint, more support for Gmail and Hotmail, the ability to disable commands you don't use much, and there's also a BestMatch V speech model that kicks in for higher spec PCs that have 2 or more processors and more than 4GB of RAM.

Naturally because we live in the age of the App, the Remote Microphone app that was only available for iOS systems in the last version is now extended to cover Android devices. Haven't had the chance to try this yet as somehow I don't think it's going to be my main priority.

I know I'm never going to be taken on as a legal PA, but thanks to my experience of Nuance's top notch DRAGON Naturally Speaking 12, I might be able to hoodwink a few firms into thinking I have great typing accuracy and speed....


Score: 4.5/5

No comments: